What language is this?

Suzanne Kemmer kemmer at rice.edu
Thu Apr 12 03:17:02 UTC 2007

I searched on "oraskani" and up came some songs with that word in
them, leading to a site for
the late recording artist Kazim Koyuncu, bio pasted below. So far I
think Paul's got it.
--Suzanne

Kazim Koyuncu
The restless and tall Kazim Koyuncu hailed from the Laz region of
Turkey’s Black Sea. This beautiful province alternates stunning
green mountains with a rugged coastline not far from the Georgian
frontier. Unfortunately, the 250,000 people who speak Laz are the
relentless butt of Turkish jokes, paying dearly for their independent
and abrasive nature. Since Koyuncu set off on his music career in
1992, he was an enthusiastic ambassador of Laz folklore and
traditions. Describing himself as a “revolutionary” devoted to
alternative music, he nevertheless included in his repertory
traditional instruments, such as the tulum bagpipes and the kemenc
violin. Koyuncu attributed his growing success to a rare ability to
sing in five of Turkey’s languages, an attribute which appealed to
all generations. In his short but meteoric career Koyuncu stamped
himself as one of the leading cultural icons for the Laz people. He
died of testicular cancer in June 2005. Many believe he contracted it
following the Tchernobyl disaster of 1986.