On Everett & Piraha: "history holds the key"

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 23 23:36:50 UTC 2007

Of course, if I had to choose between Chomsky and Pike as to which one
was more arrogant, insulated and selef-centered, I'm not sure I could
make a principled decision; maybe flip a coin? Not quite in the same
vein, if I were forced to choose between Chomskian extreme
universalism/innatism and Sapirian extreme relativism/inputism, I would
consider it a bad intellectual choice. I'd bet on somewhere mid-way
between the two; sort of like nature-nurthure or chicken-egg. Cheers,  TG