On Everett & Piraha: "history holds the key"

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Tue Apr 24 06:44:40 UTC 2007

Let me say that I  have always thought that Dan's work was interesting
even before he 'saw the light.' And in the same vein, whatever relativism
Sapir had, as far as I'm concerned he didn't let in get in the way
of his linguistics; Chomsky's ideology, on the other hand, affects
practically everything he does (I say 'practically' because I have always
thought  'On wh-movement' was a very interesting article whatever
framework you were operating in).  But I'm
afraid 20 years is not going to be enough to dig ourselves out of
the Chomsky hole. I have long maintained that Chomskyism is a sociological
phenomenon sustained by Chomsky's apparent charisma and fed by
confusion about what linguistics is supposed to be. So even if Chomsky were to
pass from the scene
tomorrow,* people would still be getting tenure on the basis of association
with him for another 10 years or so, and then they would work for another
30 years until they retire gnashing their teeth at new developments
and wondering what The Master would have said about the latest problems
they're addressing. So I think we're looking at an absolute minimum of
40 years more recovery time.
John

*PLEASE DON'T FLAME IF THIS SUGGESTION OFFENDS YOU! (this happened when I
posted a similar message like 8 years ago)