On Everett & Piraha & Pre-Darwinism

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Tue Apr 24 15:37:34 UTC 2007

The relationship between language and communication is similar to the
relationship between sex and procreation. There can be procreation without
sex and sex without procreation, although undoubtedly sex has survived
because it was of benefit in facilitating the continuation of species.

There is a strong causal relationship between the use of language and
communication, but language and communication are distinct. We can
communicate without language, and we can use language without
communicating.

There are aspects of language and its structure that can be
studied apart from their effect on communication.

An even more interesting distinction is that between transfer of
information through language and intentional linguistic acts whose purpose
is the changing of another's state of mind. Encoding a proposition in a
language, and getting someone to believe the truth of that proposition are two
different things. Which of them is communication? Transmission of
information or changing someone's mind?

We can talk to ourselves or to a friend and be overheard by someone that
we didn't even know existed. Our speech transmits that information to the
unobserved stranger without our ever intending to communicate. On the
other hand, we can speak nonsense to an intended audience with the result
of making some kind of impression on them, without actually encoding any
proposition with our words.

Language doesn't have an objective. It's just a phenomenon. Speakers have
objectives, but they have many alternate ways of achieving them. Language,
as a phenomenon, sometimes helps transmit information despite lack of
intention to communicate on the part of speakers.

    --Aya Katz

Dr. Aya Katz, Inverted-A, Inc, P.O. Box 267, Licking, MO
65542 USA
(417) 457-6652 (573) 247-0055
http://www.well.com/user/amnfn