Language and Communication

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Fri Apr 27 08:34:47 UTC 2007

This may be a little tangential to the discussion between Steve Long and
and J. Jain about viewing language as a series of computational type
moves, but I still think it's an important point: the objectives of
speakers and the effect of language on other speakers are not necessarily
the same. The motive for sound-to-meaning mapping on the part of speakers
can be self-expression, even though the overall effect is communication
with others.

>>From an evolutionary point of view, it is not clear that language
necessarily emerged due to the intent to communicate with others. In all
likelihood, self expression was the initial motive of speakers, even
though it was communication with others that served as the force that kept
that motive a part of our human behavioral repertoire.

We eat because we are hungry. The effect of eating is that we have enough
energy to continue to live. Copulation is motivated by sexual urges.
Procreation is the result. Almost anything necessary for the survival of
the species is motivated in the individual by a psychological need, not by
a general understanding of what filling that need will achieve. Even when
we do understand how things work, the underlying motivation is still the
primitive one.

Animal calls, from which human language may have derived, map sounds onto
meanings: the arrival of a particular kind of predator, the ripening of a
particular fruit. However, the reason individuals emit these calls is not
necessarily the intent to alert others. It is most likely that they feel
an urgent desire to express their fear or joy -- a desire so strong they
cannot master it. These cries often endanger the lives of the indviduals
emitting them, but they enhance the survival of the group.

Sitting at the table with us, Bow, a five year old chimpanzee, cannot help
emitting food cries when he gets a food he really likes. The sounds are
louder than normal dinner conversation. My seven year old
daughter keeps berating him for being rude. Bow, however, can't help
himself. The urge to make those sounds is one he cannot master. He is not
doing it to communicate with us. However, any chimpanzee within earshot
would know that he is eating -- and what.

     --Aya

Dr. Aya Katz, Inverted-A, Inc, P.O. Box 267, Licking, MO
65542 USA
(417) 457-6652 (573) 247-0055
http://www.well.com/user/amnfn