Language and "Self-Expression"

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Sat Apr 28 03:58:14 UTC 2007

Communication can be intentional or unintentional. Vocalization can be
voluntary or involuntary. In the context of a discussion of the
separability of language structure from communication, "self-expression"
means a form-to-meaning mapping that encodes information where the speaker
had no intent to communicate with another.

Sometimes the vocalization is involuntary. The speaker just couldn't help
himself. He might prefer not to communicate, but the need to express his
thoughts and feelings overrides his concern about sharing information. At
other times, the speaker may be unaware that he has an audience.

When someone cries out in pain, everyone who hears understands the
message. But it is not a message that the injured party necessarily meant
to send out. The urge to cry out is difficult to overcome. We might not want
others to know we are suffering. Nature made sure we would let others
know, because it might save the lives of our group mates, who would be
alerted to the danger.

Babies are born with a repertoire of cries that alert caretakers to their
needs. But a newborn does not know that there are others. The concept of
self versus other develops much later. When a baby cries out, it is
self-expression, regardless of the fact that for hearers the cries
function as a form of communication, in that the baby supplies them with
important information about its needs.

If Abraham Lincoln had composed and spoken the Gettysburg Address without
intending it for an audience, then it would have been mere
self-expression. Since he did intend it for an audience, we can safely say
that it was an intentional act of communication.

Some people with autistic spectrum disorders master both grammar and its
mapping onto meaning, without developing a theory of mind. When they
speak, they comment on reality without taking into consideration what
others will make of their comments. Their speech is motivated by self-
expression, but they are using a language they picked up from their
environment, so anybody listening in can understand what was said.

Best,

      --Aya Katz

Dr. Aya Katz, Inverted-A, Inc, P.O. Box 267, Licking, MO
65542 USA
(417) 457-6652 (573) 247-0055
http://www.well.com/user/amnfn