Language and "Self-Expression" (2)

Johanna Rubba jrubba at calpoly.edu
Mon Apr 30 16:24:37 UTC 2007

As to "talking to oneself", it certainly does involve speech. I have
made speech errors while talking to myself (not out loud -- solely in
my head). There is probably research somewhere that shows activation
in the motor cortex and perhaps even the speech muscles that
sometimes accompanies talking to oneself -- maybe someone on the list
knows this for a fact. I believe I have read or heard something to
that effect regarding people who subvocalize when they read.

I posted a message about language and communication on the Pirahã
thread, but it never appeared. I wonder if I sent it only to a single
address. If you received a message, could you send it back to me to
post, or post it for me?

Thanks!

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: jrubba at calpoly.edu
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374