Language and 'Self-Expression' (2)

Paul Hopper hopper at cmu.edu
Mon Apr 30 18:05:48 UTC 2007

Fascinating! I've even caught myself correcting speech errors when I talk to my dog.

My speech errors, that is.

All this reminds me of David Bloor's definition of conscience: "the internalized image of collective reproach." (I'm afraid I don't have a reference for this. Probably his 'Knowledge and Social Imagery.')) We're constrained by norms even when no one is listening.

- Paul