Makaton

Paul Hopper hopper at cmu.edu
Fri Mar 23 13:05:20 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues,

Re. Sherman's posting on ASL: By coincidence I was about to post an inquiry to FunkNet on a related matter. So that my own posting doesn't distract from the important questions in Sherman's message, I'm presenting my own inquiry as a separate thread.

I have just returned from the UK, and a big thing over there is "Makaton". It's a combination of spoken English and manual signs borrowed from British Sign Language. It was developed originally for learning-disabled kids (autistic, retarded), where it was so successful that teachers have been introducing it into the normal classrooms, and it has become something of a fad, spreading into the playgrounds and streets among grade-schoolers. My question is: does anyone know of any _linguistic_ studies of Makaton? Its grammar, etc.?

"Cheers",

Paul