Language and 'Self-Expression' (2)

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Tue May 1 04:55:36 UTC 2007

The question is, when we correct our own speech directed at oursleves or
our dog, is it always just a question of "internalizing collective
reproach"? Sometimes, couldn't it be just a question of realizing we made
a mistake in calculation?

Clearly, there is a kind of self-editing that involves putting ourselves
in a hearer's place and trying to see if he would understand our message
or be offended by its form. Correcting an "ain't" to "isn't" or putting
something in subjunctive instead of imperative fall into that type of
correction, as does substituting politically correct jargon
for a more archaic term that is undergoing pejorization (say,
"elders" instead of "the old".)

But if we find we negated the wrong clause or used a word that doesn't at
all mean what we intended, isn't that type of self-correction just a
question of clarifying our own thoughts? In that case, it would be the
message we are correcting, without regard to the approval or disapproval
of an internalized hearer.

     --Aya

Dr. Aya Katz, Inverted-A, Inc, P.O. Box 267, Licking, MO
65542 USA
(417) 457-6652 (573) 247-0055
http://www.well.com/user/amnfn