Piraha, complexity & universal: Another shot

Tom Givon tgivon at smtp.uoregon.edu
Mon Oct 1 20:16:44 UTC 2007

Dear FUNK people,

I was disappointed with the discussion that followed Dan Everett'
submission on Piraha a while back, regarding syntactic complexity and
universals. At the time I thought that the issues of more interest (at
least to me) somehow got side-stepped. So, I am attaching  (in two
formats) an attempt to revive that discussion. I do this rather than
making this a long message (3.5 pp.), so that y'all can decide whether
you want to bother. At the very least, this will give Dan one more
opportunity to convince the (sympathetic) skeptics

Best,  TG