Here's Givon text: Dan Everett on Piraha and Universals

Tom Givon tgivon at smtp.uoregon.edu
Tue Oct 2 16:22:54 UTC 2007

Nice comments,  Jesse.  As for automatization--every high-frequency
behavior becomes automated, be it syntactic, lexical, motor, visual,
etc. So if it is true (speculation is not proof...) that in some
cultures the frequency balance shifts from grammar to contents (i.e.
lexicon) or to some "embodied" experience, if that occurs in high enough
frequency, it'll get automated just as any other behavior.

Walter Kintsch had a nice paper (1992) about the balance between relying
on grammar vs., relying on contents ("situational reasoning") in
discourse processing. In both Pidgins & early child language (child
pidgin), the balance is heavily tilted towards contents, given that they
have little grammatical machinery. Both are, obviously,
societies-of-intimates, where communications is tilted heaily towards
the here-and-now, you-and-I, this-and-that-visible.

In /On Understandiung Grammar /(1979, ch. 5), where I set out this
conjecture, I also noted that in adult communication between intimates
the same ought to apply. So e.g., spoken vs. written language shows a
huge skewing in the frequency of complex constructions. Eli Ochs had a
nice paper on just this topic(1977/1979). So in hunting-and-gathering or
small-scale village societies, one would expect less reliance, in terms
of frequency, on grammar. But there's a huge number of caveats that must
be added here. The parts of grammar dedicated to deontic & epistepic
modality are probably just as rich--or richer--in face-to-face
communication in societies of intimates. This also shows up in earlier
acquisition & high frequency of such modalities (marked by various
"higher" verbs)  in children ca. age 2-3, by the way. And of course,
there's Revard Perkins' book (a TSL volume from way back) showing that
small-scale, less-complex societies have much richer & more expanded
deictic marking systems. So one has to be careful about frequency
generalizations; they have to apply not to grammar at large, but to
specific sub-systems.  Best,  TG