Givon on PirahaN and universals

Jagdish Jain jjain at sfsu.edu
Tue Oct 2 23:17:56 UTC 2007

Dear Funknetters,

Givon wrote that the article (Hauser et al. 2002) was one more
attempt "to resurrect 'competence' as the bastion of pure
innateness." I am confused. The word "bastion" metaphorically means
"a defensive stronghold." Is Givon trying to say that the notion of
'competence' is being resurrected as a defensive stronghold for "pure
innateness." Further, what does the modifier "pure" mean in this
context. Is there "impure" innateness?

Chomsky used the term 'competence' in the 1960s in the sense of a
native speaker's TACIT knowledge of his her language. The concept
"tacit" has no connection with the concept "innate." Because of the
confusion created by the term 'competence,' Chomsky has started using
the term I-language (= internalized linguistic system) to label the
concept of "a native speaker's tacit knowledge of his or her
language." I think I-language is a much better term than competence
to describe the concept. I-LANGUAGE IS NOT INNATE, NOR A BASTION TO
INNATENESS. I-LANGUAGE IS ACQUIRED.

The notion of 'recursion/recursiveness/recursivity' has a precise
meaning: if you take two constituency principles that involve a
category on the left of one rewrite rule and the same category on the
right of the second rewrite rule, you have set up the property called
'recursion' For example, if a clause has a constituent called VP, and
that VP has a constituent called clause, you have succeeded in
creating the property called recursion. Informally, this kind of
recursion is called 'clause embedding." Recursion is not limited to
clause embedding. Recursion is a wide spread design feature of
language; it is not a FRAMEWORK (as Givon calls it).

I would like to emphasize that a "complex linguistic construction"
(whatever that means) may not involve any recursion. Nobody has
suggested any metric for "complexity" of a linguistic construction.

Jagdish Jain