Criticizing Linguistics/Shared Cognitions (3)

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Fri Oct 5 14:35:40 UTC 2007

Dear Steve,

I think we are in agreement about most of the essential facts. Perhaps
our use of different labels is largely a matter of style.

I distinguish between cognition and its calcified remains, which I tend to
think of as language in the case of a communicative tool, and culture in
the case of shared belief systems.

I don't believe humans have collective cognition, although
that might theoretically be possible in a society of telepaths.

When I understand a message sent by another, I do not necessarily share
his cognition. I might totally disagree or disbelieve the message, but
the information it contains has been passed along. Thus again, I
distinguish between language and cognition.

Best,

       --Aya

Dr. Aya Katz, Inverted-A, Inc, P.O. Box 267, Licking, MO
65542 USA
(417) 457-6652 (573) 247-0055
http://www.well.com/user/amnfn