A Review That Wasn'r

Esa Itkonen eitkonen at utu.fi
Mon Oct 22 14:36:17 UTC 2007

Dear FUNKNETters:

The following true story may have some not-just-personal interest.

In 1981 the review editor of LANGUAGE asked me to write a review of 'On Language Change' (CUP, 1980) by Roger Lass. Since I felt that the topic was important enough, I wrote a lengthy review, which was subsequently promoted to the exalted status of a review article (= Language 1981, volume 57, number 3, pp. 688-697).

Exactly 25 years later I was asked by the review editor of LANGUAGE (a different one, to be sure) to write a review of 'Context as Other Minds' (Benjamins, 2005) by Tom Givón. I was first worried that the review might turn out to be too long, but I got the reassurance that the length was just right. So I sent the review well before the end-of-May (or-June?) deadline. Then there was silence. After more than one year had passed, I asked about any possible news. So far, there has been no response.

I find it difficult to believe that during these intervening 25 years my professional skills have deteriorated to the point that a review written by me is no longer fit to print. But even if this were the case, common courtesy demands that I should be told so. Then, in any case, I would have had the opportunity to offer the review to some other journal and to find out whether the reaction would be the same or - perhaps - different.

What can we learn from this incident? I for one have learned the review policy of LANGUAGE: "Write a review, one that WE have solicited, so that we can throw it away, and you'll never hear from us again!" In the meantime people - at least those who have not read the book - may still not know what Givón (2005) is all about. I am sure that some would like to know.

Presumably there are other people around who are likewise displeased by arrogance coming from powers-that-be.

Esa

Homepage: http://users.utu.fi/eitkonen