Reviews That ARE

Suzanne Kemmer kemmer at rice.edu
Wed Oct 24 03:49:50 UTC 2007

There's still a role for the "good old book review". Its place is
online, as Martin
said, but it doesn't have to be connected to any journal. It's easier
for
a scientific association to run a website than a whole journal, even
an online journal, so any
association in Linguistics can easily have an active website with
news, events, and reviews
to keep its members abreast of the latest publications. (Early
linguistics associations
published bulletins which served the same function.)

The International Cognitive Linguistics Association has such a
website and
in the last year the review part of the site has developed quite well
under Martin Hilpert's web editorship:

http://www.cogling.org/bookreviews.shtml

There are about 30 reviews that have been posted since the
review part of the ICLA website started up last year, 25 more titles
are under review,
and many more are awaiting reviewers to offer to review them.

I read reviews online on the Linguist, but the site's too broad
to cover any specific area well.

I recommend the ICLA's review site as a model for those who want to
get their
specialized association to serve them in a similar way. An
association is as
active as its members.

Suzanne Kemmer
confessedly, the ICLA webmaster