2nd CFP: Cognitive and Functional Perspectives on Dynamic Tendencies in Languages May 29 to June 1, 2008, Tartu, Estonia

Tuomas Huumo thuumo at utu.fi
Fri Sep 7 12:12:20 UTC 2007

Cognitive and Functional Perspectives on Dynamic Tendencies in Languages
http://www.fl.ut.ee/kttdk/ecla

To be held at the University of Tartu, Estonia
 From May 29 to June 1, 2008

KEYWORDS
cognitive and functional studies on grammar
grammaticalization
dynamics of language
synchronic and diachronic language change
language contact: aspects of grammar
usage-based approaches and models
emergent grammar
language typology
language evolution
Uralic languages

Confirmed plenary speakers:

Bernd Heine
Ronald Langacker
Ewa Dabrowska
Martin Haspelmath

Description

The aim of the conference is to bring together linguists working in the
functional and cognitive linguistic paradigms. We invite linguists who
take a functional and/or cognitive perspective in describing and
explaining linguistic phenomena in the language(s) they are researching
and those working on language dynamics from a functional or cognitive
perspective to participate.

We especially encourage linguists working on the Uralic languages to
submit papers, in the hope of expanding the Cognitive Linguistic
paradigm with data from these languages; researchers involved with other
languages and language families are, of course, also most welcome. We
also encourage papers on grammaticalization and the role of oral and
written forms and different language varieties in language change, as
well as changes in grammar resulting from language contact. Furthermore,
presentations dealing with different usage-based models, including
construction grammar, are also welcome.

Organizers

University of Tartu
Estonian Cognitive Linguistics Association

Important dates

First call for papers and theme sessions: June 29, 2007
Second call for papers and theme sessions: September 7, 2007
Deadline for theme session submissions: October 1, 2007
Notification of acceptance for theme sessions: December 15, 2007
Third call for general session papers: January 7, 2008
Deadline for general session papers: January 15, 2008
Notification of acceptance for general session papers: February 15, 2008
Program available at the website: April 15, 2008
Conference dates: May 29 - June 1, 2008

For theme session organizers:
On October 1, 2007 we will be expecting your session title and the
number of papers expected to be presented at the session.
On February 15, 2008 we will be expecting a description of your theme
session and the participants’ abstracts.

Submission guidelines

Abstracts (max. 500 words (including references)) should be submitted
electronically to ecla at lists.ut.ee

Conference website http://www.fl.ut.ee/kttdk/ecla