Yesterday's New York Times...

Alexander Gross2 language at sprynet.com
Mon Sep 17 17:43:05 UTC 2007

Some of you are likely to find the cover article of yesterday's New York Times Magazine of some interest.  Its brief summary runs as follows:

"Much of what we’re told about diet, lifestyle and disease is based on epidemiologic studies. What if it is just bad science?"

I wonder how some of you might feel if  that summation were changed to read as follows:

"Much of what we’re told about language and linguistics is based on theoretical and statistical studies. What if it is just bad science?"

All the best to everyone!

alex gross

PS--for those of you who may have missed the article, it can be found in the online Times at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/magazine/16epidemiology-t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all