Yesterday's New York Times...

Alexander Gross2 language at sprynet.com
Thu Sep 20 01:02:34 UTC 2007

Taubes makes it quite clear that some epidemiologists and doctors are likely
to support his position and others are likely to oppose it. This means that
while this correspondent is fortunate in having an epidemiologist for a son,
it truly adds nothing to our discussion.  I have, together with my wife,
followed the ups and downs of epidemiological research over the past twenty
years, but more importantly each of us has been quite directly and
personally affected by those results where hormone replacement therapy and
statins are concerned.

Perhaps it needs to be noted, since so many here seem to be almost totally
wedded to theory, that the results of Epidemiological Research, unlike the
results of Mainstream Linguistics Research, can have an immediate, direct,
and practical impact, sometimes touching on life and death.

I am of course deeply impressed by the eighteen lines of credentials this
professor finds necesary to add to his signature, and this triumph of good
taste leads me to believe that it would not have been amiss, since the claim
has been made that someone is "using material in a field in which one lacks
expertise," if the person making this claim could have at least glanced at
the material on my website at:

http://language.home.sprynet.com/otherdex.htm#chinmed

as well as the opening paragraphs (under the Linguistics menu) of my invited
LACUS presentation two years ago.  If this had been done, it would have been
discovered, along with two papers appearing in a medical review, that I have
been concerned with the nexus of medicine and linguistics for at least the
last twenty years.  I can't help wondering if the apparent bone of
contention here has more to do with my perspective on linguistics than
anything--actually, nothing that I can think of (though it's always a good
idea to try changing the subject)--that I have ever written about
epidemiology.

With very best to all!

alex