epistemic modality and evidentiality in brazilian portuguese

Juliano Desiderato Antonio jdantonio at uem.br
Sat Aug 30 00:06:24 UTC 2008

Hi all.
I have a doubt about items like "eu acho que..." (I think that...), "é óbvio que..." (it's obvious that...". It seems to me that these items are markers of epistemic modality, but there are papers which treat them as evidentiality markers because they might present an inference of the speaker.

. é óbvio que não tem colesterol,
. porque é de origem vegetal.

(... it's obvious that it does not contain cholesterol
. because it comes from plant.)

. eu acho que o deficiente mental sofre muito preconceito,

(... I think that mentally disabled people go through a lot of prejudice)

I'd like to know if it is possible to consider these items only epistemic modality markers.

Thanks.

Juliano

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
 acredita-se estar livre de perigo.