article archive

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Thu Dec 18 07:45:02 UTC 2008

It would be great if someone took the initiative to organize an archive
that could be used by functional linguists as well. I think ideally
there would be an article archive for all of linguistics, without
restriction to a particular approach or sub-community. With a simple
indexing system, it would be easy to narrow one's searches to particular
topics, approaches or sub-communities.

My colleague Michael Cysouw once approached arXiv.org
(http://arxiv.org/), the leading e-print archive in physics and
mathematics, but apparently they were not interested in opening up their
system to linguistics. So we have to do it ourselves.

The person who would do it would earn the eternal gratitude of the
field, but I'm not sure what else.

Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6

Glottopedia - the free encyclopedia of linguistics
(http://www.glottopedia.org)