Rules vs. lists

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Tue Jul 1 08:41:28 UTC 2008

David,

Nice papers. Thanks!

When you said "any number" of rules I thought you were going to argue
abstracted rules could be completely arbitrary. Instead I think you
are just saying the number can be very, very large. And that I agree
with.

Most importantly, I think the number of rules which can be abstracted
can be larger than the number of examples they are abstracted from.

If we think about this I believe it is an important result. The
storage of each extra example need not be seen as a cost. For each new
example we store, we can get an even greater number of
rules/generalizations for the system. (Each new example can be related
to multiple others, to get multiple new "rules".)

For N examples, we can have >> N rules.

I'm not sure if your paper is arguing for this. In the light of it
lists seem a very powerful way to specify grammar to me. Not to
mention explaining certain idiosyncratic and inconsistent aspects of
grammar. In practice we have not used lists in this way. Any idea why
not?

Beyond that I don't entirely understand the importance of Cognitive
Grammar for your analysis. Why is it necessary for generalizations to
become entrenched before they can be thought of as being "part of the
grammar"? Couldn't any meaningful generalization which might be
abstracted from a set of examples already be considered to be "part of
the grammar", independently of whether it later becomes entrenched?

-Rob