Rules vs. Lists

David Tuggy david_tuggy at sil.org
Thu Jul 3 02:30:23 UTC 2008

In the minds of language users, including linguists. Hopefully what
linguists consciously analyze and posit as rules will be such as to
parallel what is in users' minds. Otherwise they are less interesting
objects, at least for those who had hopes of their illuminating what
language is.

Certainly one cannot assume that every rule a linguist has posited has
an analogue in anyone else’s mind, much less that such an analogue is
used in actual language processing. But many, I reckon, do and are.

--David Tuggy