Rules vs. Lists

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Thu Jul 3 13:32:03 UTC 2008

Rob,

No, I am not implying there is a vast body of literature on this topic. My
assurance comes from logic. A list is a set of rules with a single example
of the application of each rule. When we speak of a rule-based system,
we mean one each rules has many examples of its application. When
we speak of list-based system, we speak of a system where there are more
rules than instances where they are applied.

For instance, the multiplication table can be described either way. We can
memorize each entry and describe it as a list. Or we can give a single
rule, x  times y is x plus x y times. They are functionally equivalent.
You can get the right answer either way. But when we make a separate rule
for each instance, we call that listing. When we allow a single rule to
cover many instances, we call that rule-based.

It's doesn't take any previous literature to determine this is so. It is
so by definition. It's a tautology.

Best,

     --Aya

The grammar of a language could