Rules vs. Lists

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Sun Jul 6 06:18:03 UTC 2008

Right Jouni. It is somewhat laborious to factor them out, but I think
we can find lots of rules once we start to look for them, even if we
restrict ourselves to one kind: morphological, phonological etc.

Whether a vowel-consonant inventory would count as this kind of system
is another question. Phonemes are not really examples. They are
classes. The right question would be to compare the number of phonemes
and phonotactic rules with the number of utterances. In this context I
refer you to suggestions such as Syd Lamb's that we need to relax the
"linearity requirement" for phonemes in combination. An issue which
goes right back to the core of the dispute between structural and
functional schools in linguistics.

As to why it should be so, why we should want to have more rules and
examples, it is perhaps not immediately obvious. But actually such a
system gives us lots of power. Power we have simply been throwing away
because we have assumed fewer rules than examples. If we can
constantly draw new rules out of the examples we can use all those
extra rules to parametrize our system. All we need to do is look for
them.

-Rob