Rules vs. Lists

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Mon Jul 7 13:05:42 UTC 2008

Okay. Your point is that the linguistic pie can be sliced many, many
different ways. I don't disagree, but I have another point that I have
been trying to make: there is no difference between one method of
slicing it or another, when we are studying how a language works. If it
all adds up correctly, all the different ways are equivalent, and there's
not any reason to prefer one method over another, unless we have adopted a
particular constraint, such as economy of rules or mathematical elegance.

Now, a particular speaker may adopt one way, and another speaker may adopt
a second. A third speaker may adopt a third. There may be as many
different ways of parsing a language as speakers, although that is
doubtful and perfectly open to scientific investigation.

It's okay to study the details of how speakers process language. It is
also okay to find ways to describe language apart from speakers. What is
not okay is to confuse what any given speaker does with how the language
works.

Best,

      --Aya