Rules vs. Lists

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Tue Jul 8 15:35:04 UTC 2008

Okay. So your other point is that the grammar of any language at any given
point is somewhat indeterminate, because it just misses resolving itself
one way or the other. That's true, of course. Sapir made that point when
he spoke of linguistic drift.

What I find more interesting, (while acknowledging your point), is that
languages don't just drift. They cycle. They keep coming up with the same
ways of resolving the indeterminacy, after having seemingly gone in a
different direction for a while.

The reason I find that interesting is because all the while language
appears to be evolving, it's really staying the same more or less.

Show me one primitive language! There is none to be found. We have people
with primitive material culture in isolated pockets of the world, but NO
primitive languages.

Best,

      --Aya