conversation and syntax

R. A. Jacobs rjacobs at townesquare.net
Mon Jun 9 17:50:11 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,

Paul Hopper's data on formulaics expressions in
the mini-text Fritz Newmeyer presented is
certainly to the point. I agree with him that it
would be sad if Funknet became a clearing house
for the exchange of titles and abstracts rather
than the actual discussion of ideas. But it seems
to me reasonable that Fritz could give some
details of an argument (polemical but on a topic
of central interest to this list that he has
dealt with much more fully in a paper, as long as
that paper has been made accessible to list
members. That's one way a good list like this is
useful. Fritz did just that. I was interested, so
I downloaded the paper. Paul's own brief
discussion added to the value of the exchange,
and I hope there would be others.

Ricky

--
Roderick A. Jacobs, Author/Linguistic Consultant	Recent Article:
[Georgia State University]