conversation and syntax

Paul Hopper hopper at cmu.edu
Mon Jun 9 19:16:05 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,

Ricky Jacobs nicely sums up the two sides to this debate, and keeping my fingers crossed that we won't see a 'New Way' of Funknet messages consisting of an abstract and a link to an article in place of the off-the-cuff "squibs" we've all come to know and love, I'll sign off on the question of format.

I would like to add, though, that I would hate readers to infer from Tom's message that I berated him for not defending Sandy -- who doesn't need defending, and most definitely not by me. In fact my one and only comment to him was a humorous one, which I cite in full:

>Tom,
>
>Well, we may be at or approaching Emeritus status, but our memories haven't
>necessarily faded. What happened to the good ol' days of "Fritz the >Enforcer"...?
>
>Paul

Those of us who are getting long in the tooth, including Fritz, will recognize the reference here, so I won't pursue it. It belongs to an even more polemical age. And I too appreciate that Fritz has taken functionalism seriously enough to focus his very considerable intellect on our work.

Paul

--
Prof. Dr. Paul J. Hopper
Senior Fellow