Rule-List Fallacy

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Tue Jun 10 13:10:32 UTC 2008

It seems to me that Fritz Newmeyer's appeal to the Rule-List Fallacy in
the context of the argument about formulaic language overlooks a crucial
asymmetry between rules and lists:

While lists are a necessary component of all semiotic systems, rules are
not. All languages must at least have lists of morphemes, and then in
addition they may have rules. But the burden of proof is on those who
want to claim that they have rules (or schemas, or constructions). In
general, the evidence for rules has been considered overwhelming (in all
languages), so almost everyone accepts them.

Now I think Fritz's argument doesn't go through: If one could show that
it is in fact possible to explain speakers' behaviour by claiming that
their knowledge of language consists of a simple list of morphemes (or
formulas), then this would indeed be a powerful argument against the
existence of rules. In other words, the null hypothesis should be that
languages have no rules, and if not enough evidence can be found to
reject this hypothesis, we should assume that they don't.

Notice that this doesn't work the other way round: The null hypothesis
cannot be that languages have no lists, but only rules -- languages must
have lists. So if one discovers rules, this does not mean that the same
phenomena are not also stored as lists. The Rule-List Fallacy is
unidirectional.

But while I think that this particular argument is invalid, Sandy
Thompson and Paul Hopper will need to do a lot more to convince
linguists that no rules (or schemas, or constructions) are needed to
explain speaker behaviour. Strictly speaking, they are defending the
null hypothesis, but in actual practice, almost all linguists
(regardless of their ideological preferences) find that they need rules
for their work.

Martin Haspelmath

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6

Glottopedia - the free encyclopedia of linguistics
(http://www.glottopedia.org)