Rule-List Fallacy

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Tue Jun 10 19:20:03 UTC 2008

Dear Edith and Martin,

    I think Martin makes an excellent point by emphasizing the
phylogenetic primacy of rote.  In that sense, perhaps there is a null
hypothesis.  I definitely see his point.  Finding real syntactic rules
in monkeys is a pretty tall order.  But, maybe we need to think about
this in more perceptual terms, along the lines Edith suggests.   If we
stimulus-response pairings such as the response of the female firefly
to the shape of the blinking pattern of the male.  To make this work,
the series of blinks are more or less hard-wired into a single
receptor neuron chain in the female.  But, at this point, I wonder if
we really have neither lists or rules, but rather the primordial
neural soup from which both lists (unanalyzed amalgams) and rules
(combined pieces) arise.  At this point, I think that Edith's points
are the crucial ones.  Indeed, everything can be seen in terms of
either its pieces or as a whole.  Even more remarkably, it appears
that the brain has come to provide methods for both forms of
analysis.  Don Tucker (Tom's neuropsychologist colleague at Oregon)
likes to emphasize the interplay between the ventral path that tends
to tear down items into their pieces and the dorsal path that
assembles wholes.  Unsurprisingly, it is the ventral path in humans
that appears to be the one where rules are most clearly assembled.
     Others point to punctate processing in the left hemisphere and
wholistic processing in the right.  In general, the brain seems to
follow these divisions between yin and yang with a vengeance.  Given
this, is it surprising to see this interplay being played out in
language, both in conversation and across historical change?
   But, yes, Martin I also sympathize with your wariness of the
application of the term "cognitive" as a magic wand for linguistic
analysis.  I think the hope is that corpora and richer streams of data
recording can help us reduce this huge indeterminacy, but I can't see
how it would ever vanish entirely, given the complex dynamics of the
interplay.

--Brian MacWhinney