Discrete Infinity

Dan Everett dlevere at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 11 09:47:19 UTC 2008

Just to clarify what I said earlier.

It isn't clear what 'discrete' adds to our understanding of the nature
of language since we already have to have linguistic units like words.
Since no one would utter half a word, based on what a SIGN is, we
don't need the mathematical concept of 'discrete' so far as I can
tell. Saussure already got this fact for us.

And since no language can be proved to be infinite nor is infinitude a
necessary nor a sufficient condition for any language, 'infinity' also
plays no role in understanding language. Now, it is true that the
shortest grammars that describe many/all natural languages might
themselves generate infinite languages, but that is an artifact of the
grammar, not the language the grammar is describing. Recent work at
MIT (Brain and Cognitive Sciences) by Josh Tenenbaum and his lab
(http://web.mit.edu/cocosci/josh.html) has made some excellent
progress in offering ways to select among grammars based on their
parsimony. And parsimony is the big attraction to infinitude - but it
is not a fact about languages so far as I can tell, just the shortest
way to describe them.

If I am correct that Piraha and other languages are finite, then
discrete infinity is not only unnecessary, it makes the wrong
predictions.

So when someone says that our main task in describing language is to
capture its 'discrete infinity', then, to quote Paul Feyerabend's
remarks on people who take their views seriously, 'smell a rat'.

Dan