Re the rule-list fallacy

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Thu Jun 12 01:35:55 UTC 2008

Before everybody concedes to Martin his disdain for "cognitive", I'd
like to maybe help him qualify his statement just a bit. Yes, we know
people who say "cognitive" as a convenient slogan or as a sales pitch.
No need to mention names. The test is actually quite simple: If the
"cognitive" categories you propose are 100% isomorphic to your
linguistic analysis done beforehand through purely linguistic methods,
that was done with purely linguistic methods and without reference to
the methodologically-independent neuro-cognitive literature, then
chances are you are one of those people Martin frowns upon.

But I hope Martin knows other people too, those who don't use
"cognitive" as a convenient label, but try to keep up with the lit. of
both cognition and neurology, and for an excellent reason: They know (or
is it 'suspect'?) that if you develop a theory of language without
letting it be strongly constrained by what is known about
neuro-cognition, there is absolutely no guarantee that your theory is
anything but a descriptive and/or methodological convenience, or a
formalism driven by parsimony alone.

Of course, among people who call themselves functionalists there are
quite a few who don't want to bother with being accountable to cognition
& neurology. We all have only one lifetime, alas. And as Leonard
Bloomfield said, let other disciplines handle that. We'll stick to the
facts of language. I don't begrudge people their myopia, or lack of
ambition. But as far as I can see, we are slowly running out of purely
linguistic facts. They are getting kinda skinny. So for people who have
slightly more ambitious goals than just describing, I think trying to
understand the neuro-cognition of language is a legitimate pursuit.
After all, if you are for "usage" and "performance", where the heck do
you think the real site of usage & performance is? Show me a language
usage/performance outside the mind/brain & I'll show you a one-legged horse.

y'all keep on truckin', TG

========