Rule-List Fallacy

Matthew Dryer dryer at buffalo.edu
Tue Jun 17 20:05:15 UTC 2008

I'm joining this discussion late, after being off of email for over a week.

I want to remark on Fritz's comment

"I would think that for any semiotic system involving discrete infinity,
the existence of rules (schemas, constructions) would be the null
hypothesis."

I would agree with this argument (though I recognize that not all would) to
the extent that it means that there must exist SOME rules.  But a variation
of Martin's claim that lists are the null hypothesis is to take it as a
claim not in general but in any particular instance.  For example, I have
argued in a talk I have given in a number of places that in many if not
most languages, there is no word class of prepositions or postpositions,
but just a set of separate constructions that speakers store separately
without generalizing across them.  In other words, in this particular
instance, the null hypothesis is that there is just a list, and the burden
of proof is on anyone who wishes to claim that speakers recognize them as a
class.  But the general assumption of linguists of various stripes has
usually been that they form a class, i.e. that there are rules across them,
and the idea that there might be a need to justify that assumption rarely
arises.

I was persuaded many years ago that lists are the null hypothesis by Bruce
Derwing's 1973 book "Transformational grammar as a theory of language
acquisition: A study in the empirical, conceptual and methodological
foundations of contemporary linguistics".  The first half of the title is
somewhat misleading.  I would say that the idea that lists are the null
hypothesis was one of its main themes.

Matthew Dryer

--On Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:24 PM -0700 Frederick J Newmeyer