Rule-List Fallacy

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Wed Jun 18 20:30:30 UTC 2008

It seems to me that this discussion gravitates, slowly but surely,
towards an empirical vacuum. Perhaps a better learning strategy for all
of us would be to concede that, in principle, both holistic and analyzed
processing of complex expressions are in principle ('cognitively')
available to speakers. Then find methods by which we can tell one
strategy (as used by speakers/hearers) from the other; then find
contexts that induce speakers/hearers to prefer one strategy over the
other; and then--voila, denouement--count the frequency distribution of
the two types of behavior in various contexts. To simply express
personal preference for one over the other as 'the default strategy' is
not all that helpful. Cheers,  TG

========