Rule-List Fallacy

Matthew Dryer dryer at buffalo.edu
Thu Jun 19 01:21:54 UTC 2008

I think Tom's quite right about the issue of what is the default being
something of a red herring.  I confess to somewhat opportunistically using
that topic as a segue into a related but more substantive point, which is
that there is a widespead tendency of linguists of many stripes - not just
generative linguists, but construction grammarians, cognitive semanticists,
and even some deeply involved in grammaticalization - to assume that where
we linguists find patterns in language, speakers must find the same
patterns as well.

I should also point out, in response to Edith's comment, that the case I
was commenting on is actually not one that involves "people holistically
memorizing expressions that are usually analyzed as adpositional phrases".
Under the alternative I was proposing, people do analyse adpositional
phrases into "adposition" plus noun phrase; it's just that people don't
recognize that different "adpositions" all do the same thing.  I.e. they
don't recognize the pattern and thus don't reocgnize a class of adpositions.

Unfortunately, I'm guilty of what Fritz was originally accused of.  I've
given a (brief) abstract of a paper without providing the arguments that
are in the paper (which I haven't written up yet).

Matthew

--On Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:30 PM -0700 Tom Givon <tgivon at uoregon.edu>