Rule-List asymmetry

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Thu Jun 19 11:51:20 UTC 2008

Well, I suppose Martin is right in a clear sense: One cannot generalize
(make 'rules') on data unless one first has the data ('list'). That much
is obviously a matter of logic. Note, however, that the minute the
single list is divided into sub-categories ('sub-lists'), one has
already begun to 'make rules'. I myself don't know a single cognitive
system, however primitive (say, the amoeba), that has only a "list" in
this logical sense. The amoeba already divides the 'list' of  external
input into temperature data, salt-concentration data, physical contact
(touch) data, light data, etc. These are the categories it reacts to,
differentially And it is obvious why it must sub-categorize,
immediately--like all organisms, it needs to decide what the best
*adaptive response* should be to the various sub-categories of
input/context. What else are sub-categories good for? So the amoeba
already has behavioral rules of the form "If category X, do Y", "If
category P, do Q", etc.

In child language studies (say Carter 1974), it appears that during the
so-called "sensory-motor period"( 0-9 months) human neonates organize
incoming input into the rudiment 'theoris' of what Geary (2007) call
'folks physics', 'folk biology' and 'folk psychology'. I think Alison
Gopnik has a wonderful book called "The Scientist in the Crib" that
touches on this too. What is more, child language data on lexicalization
(my colleague Dare Baldwin has written on this extensively) suggest that
children don't wait for a long cumulative list before they start
categorizing. They start virtual;ly from item #2 (or 1?). So maybe
Alison Gopnick should have changed the title of her book to "The
Linguist in the Crib"? Clearly, the amoeba is hardly the only organism
that finds a mere 'list' adaptively useless, let alone dangerous to her
health.

So--linguists notwithstanding--it seems to me that saying that "mere
lists" can exist in any meaningful way without some categorization
('rules') is a funny exercise in a mock-Aristotelian denial of reality.
Best,  TG

=======