Concerning WALS

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Thu Nov 6 14:37:02 UTC 2008

Dear Esa,

Thanks a lot for writing this detailed commentary on the World Atlas of
Language Structures (WALS). This is the most detailed review that has
been written, and we are very grateful for it. Many of the individual
points of criticism are well-taken, and the WALS authors should take
them into account in future editions. (We're planning future online
editions of WALS, see the free online version at http://wals.info.)

Just one comment, concerning one of your major points:

You write (p. 1): "The reader of WALS is encouraged ... to seek
*correlations* between the results of different chapters, and this
clearly presupposes a high degree of compatibility between the views of
different authors."

Well, I would say: To find true correlations, the chapters must be
sufficiently correct, but they don't necessarily have to be very
compatible, certainly not in terminology. Suppose you want to link
case-marking and plural marking, and ask whether affixal case-marking
(as opposed to adpositional marking) correlates with affixal plural
marking (as opposed to pluralization by number words). Then even if the
two chapters use different definitions of "affixal", you might still get
a true correlation. But it will of course be a correlation between
affixal(1) case-marking and affixal(2) pluralization, not between
"affixal (tout court) case-marking and pluralization".

My view is that typological definitions are inherently
linguist-specific, and as such the typological concepts of different
linguists are bound to be different (unless a Chomsky-like figure comes
along and imposes widespread "agreement by authority"). So care has to
be taken in interpreting WALS correlations, of course. But this is not a
flaw in the design of the project.

Typology cannot be based on some kind of "definitive" set of grammatical
concepts, because there is no such list (or if there is, i.e. if UG
exists after all, we're so far away from knowing what it is that it's
irrelevant for practical purposes). Each language has its own
categories, so typologists necessarily have to make up their comparative
concepts that give them the most interesting results.

(For more on this, see my paper "Comparative concepts and descriptive
categories in cross-linguistic studies", on my website under "Papers and
handouts".)

Martin Haspelmath

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)