Job openings

Colleen Fitzgerald collfitz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 18:06:10 UTC 2008

Dear All,We have an unexpected vacancy for the spring 2009 semester and are
offering a one-semester position in applied linguistics/TESOL/SLA.  This
will be in the Department of Linguistics and TESOL at the University of
Texas at Arlington. (Note: I have moved.) We expect to move quickly on this.
 I hope you will circulate the below job ad (plus two links to our
tenure-track positions, which begin in Fall 2009), and encourage any
qualified applicants to come our way. (Please direct questions to me at my
work account, cmfitz at uta.edu)

Links to the two tenure-track positions:
Syntax:  http://ling.uta.edu/documents/Syntax-TT-UTArlington.pdf
Applied linguistics/TESOL:
http://ling.uta.edu/documents/TESOL-TT-UTArlington.pdf
Job ad for the Visiting Assistant Professor Position:

The Department of Linguistics and TESOL at The University of Texas at
Arlington invites applications for a one semester, non-tenure track position
as a Visiting Assistant Professor in TESOL, for the Spring 2009, starting
January 12, 2009.

 Candidates will have a doctorate or be ABD in Applied Linguistics or a
closely related field by the time of the appointment. We have a specific
need for the candidate to teach two courses (Pedagogical Grammar of English,
Second Language Acquisition) and to condict the TESOL practicum.  Although
these courses are cross-listed undergraduate/graduate, the main audience
will consist of graduate students working towards the M.A. in TESOL.
Candidates
are encouraged to provide supporting documentation for their teaching
experience in these courses and graduate student teaching.

Please note that this job is separate from the tenure-track position that we
are advertising in the same area, which has a start date of Fall 2009.
 Candidates
may apply to both positions (with separate cover letters and supporting
materials as requested for the two different positions), but should be
advised that the positions are not linked.

The Department has a thriving PhD program, strong MA programs in linguistics
and in TESOL, and a Graduate Certificate in TESOL. Our graduate student
organization hosts an annual student conference.  The Department is also in
the process of building its undergraduate offerings, which currently
includes a linguistics minor. The Department also includes the English
Language Institute, which offers intensive English instruction at various
levels.  Successful candidates must demonstrate the ability to teach
undergraduate and graduate courses, particularly in areas of TESOL and
second language pedagogy. Applications from members of underrepresented
groups are especially encouraged.

The University of Texas at Arlington is a doctoral, research-intensive
public institution of over 25,000 students located in the heart of the
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, a region with excellent cultural, recreational
and entertainment facilities.

A letter of application describing teaching and research interests, current
curriculum vitae, one writing samples, evidence of teaching excellence, and
three letters of reference from those most familiar with the applicant's
research and teaching should be sent to:

TESOL VAP Search

Department of Linguistics and TESOL

UT Arlington, Box 19559--Hammond Hall 403

Arlington, TX  76019-0559

For more information about the department, visit http://ling.uta.edu, or
contact by phone (817) 272-3133.

Review of the applicants will begin Dec. 1, 2008 but will continue until
successful candidates are identified.

This is a security sensitive position, and a criminal background check will
be conducted

on finalists.

UT Arlington is an Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer.
Dr. Colleen Fitzgerald
Chair
Dept. of Linguistics & TESOL
The University of Texas at Arlington