Concerning WALS

Wolfgang Schulze Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de
Thu Nov 6 20:24:09 UTC 2008

Dear Tom and others,
> (...) But I have to agree with Hanson (and, for that matter, Chomsky,
> perish the thought...) that in science facts are never theory-neutral,
> and that to propose to do a science of "pure facts", even as a
> preliminary exercise to  subsequent theory-building, is the height of
> self delusion.
Yes! It is good to see someone making this point! All the more,
linguistic data are in fact /phenomena/ (in the Kantian sense) not 'true
objects'. They take shape in terms of their (scientific) perception (>
description, classification etc.). In fact, linguistics is by large a
phenomenology (see http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~wschulze/redling.pdf on
more about this problem, if you want [alas, in German ]). This shouldn't
prevent us from doing empirical work even in the sense of Martin's
'comparative concepts', but just as Basic Linguistic Theory (BLT) à la
Bob Dixon cannot be theory-neutral, 'comparative concepts'  cannot be
either.... The main point is that we should always integrate (and
pronounce!) our (scientific) perceptual background when giving a gestalt
to linguistic phenomena....

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
Schulze
  *

/Primary contact:

  /

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

*Neue Adresse / New address*

Ludwigstraße 25

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486 (Secretary) [1.OG, R
102]

         0049-(0)89-2180-5343 (Office) [1. OG, R
105]

Fax:  0049-(0)89-2180-5345