Concerning WALS - Bees, Bats, Butterflies

timo.honkela at tkk.fi timo.honkela at tkk.fi
Mon Nov 10 16:18:39 UTC 2008

Thank you for initiating a very interesting discussion. The complexity
of the study of language as a socio-cultural and cognitive phenomenon
by far exceeds, for instance, the complexity of the basic principles
of physics and astronomy.

In general, it seems clear that linguistic categories cannot be
claimed to have any objective ontological status. They are social
constructions and there are multiple ways to construct the theories in
a meaningful way.

A formalization of the subjectivity/intersubjectivity of language use
is presented in our recent article "Simulating processes of concept
formation and communication" (J of Econ Methodology, vol. 15, no. 3,
Sept 2008, pp. 245-259):

1 Introduction
1.1 Multi-agent systems
1.2 Language learning and game theory
1.3 Grounding
1.4 Learning paradigms
2 Basic theoretical framework
3 Communication between agents
3.1 Language games
3.2 Single-agent model
3.3 Two-agent model
4 Learning of conceptual models
4.1 Unsupervised learning of conceptual systems
5 Practical implications
5.1 Meaning negotiations
5.2 Costs associated with harmonization of conceptual systems
6 Discussion

The article aims to provide a principled alternative to the formal
approaches in which language is viewed as an autonomous system without
careful consideration of the subjective element. Constructive comments
on the paper (available on request) are welcome!

Best regards,
Timo

P.S. I will be in UC Berkeley from 17th to 19th, in Stanford from 20th
to 21st and in UC San Diego from 25th to 27th of November. If you are
working there and would be interested in discussing these issues,
please contact.

--
Timo Honkela, Chief Research Scientist, PhD, Docent
Adaptive Informatics Research Center

timo.honkela at tkk.fi,  http://www.cis.hut.fi/tho/