Concerning WALS - Bees, Bats, Butterflies

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Fri Nov 14 03:26:22 UTC 2008

Well, Martin, I wonder why you are impelled to make such sweeping
statements, one's that are bound to shoot way beyond the mark. Do you
really mean that WALS is what will put us on sound empirical
foundations? At long last? Gets one to wonder what myself and my
associates (let alone your guru Greenberg) have been doing  with our
finite earthly time all those pre-WALS years; now don't it?

Now, since you invoke Aristotle, I had better go an record  saying that
he is the acknowledged founder of biology--not only empirical biology
with his pioneering classification (according to an ascending degree of
complexity--practically begging an evolutionary interpretation...), but
also adaptive-functional--thus THEORETICAL--biology. It took Linaues and
many before him another 2,000 years to complete Aristotle's
classification; and it took Darwin another 200 years to find the
theoretical explanation for the form-function isomorphisms identified by
Aristotle. But to lump Aristotle (in Biology) as "speculative", like
Plato, suggests a pretty careless reading of (at least) three of his
books: De Partibus Animalium, De Generationem Animalium, and Historiae
Animalium. If you want to delve into the history of scientific
(observation-based AND theoretical) biology, these books are the place
to start.

As to how far we are in linguistics from the Darwinian stage: It seems
to me that you are implying something that for me translates as follows:
Darwin was hopelessly premature in delving into a theoretical
explanation of variation in Biology, because in his time many species
and sub-species of butterflies had not yet been described, let alone
discovered. Well, here is what I bet you Darwin would have said to that:
"I had my finches, and apparently they were enough, I didn't need all
those the extra butterflies to come up with the theory of evolution by
natural (adaptive) selection".

If  the good folks of WALS  want to make a serious  claim that it is
premature to do theoretical (explanatory)  linguistics, and thus to
justify the time & money poured into their admirable enterprise, well,
all they have to do is convince those of us who know just a bit about
cross-language diversity (and also about the major source of such
diversity--diachrony) that they are finding new types of variants, types
that are so surprising and earthshaking that they manifestly falsify our
current theoretical understanding (I hate to call what we do "theory",
but it is definitely "theoretical"). All I can say is, from my remote
corner, is that most of what I see of the endless compilation of more
and more descriptions, is a lot of familiar types and sub-types. In
other words, more and more species and subspecies of butterflies
described in more and more minute detail. And like Darwin (or, like
Watson and Crick), I'm inlined to say that the finches we already have
in hand are enough to at least start building a theoretical, explanatory
account of language. So all y'all have to do is falsify our predictions.

Best,  TG