question about patterns of N-A, A-N order

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Fri Oct 10 22:35:07 UTC 2008

This is completely a function of the diachrony of grammar
(grammaticalization). So, in the most simplified version:

(i)  If a language was an OV language and then developed morphology
during that period, there will be a tendency (not absolute) to develop
suffixes. If the language then changes to VO, it doesn't get rid of the
old suffixal morphology. But when it develops new morphology, it would
tend to develop prefixes. English, German, Hebrew & Latin are such
languages.

(ii)  Conversely, if a language is VO and develops prefixal morphology,
but then changes to OV (mostly via substratum contact; examples:
Akkadian, Amharic New-Guinea Austronesian), then when it develops new
morphology, it would be primarily suffixal. But the old prefixes don't
go away

(iii)  Since OV appears to be the oldest word-order attested (Givon
1979), and languages tend to drift FROM it rather than TO it (except in
substratum-contact cases), OV languages tend to only have suffixal
morphology, since they were not VO at any prior time.

This is of course highly simplified, and to many of us it belabors the
obvious...Some of the gory detail can be found in:
Givon, T. (1971)  "Historical syntax and synchronic morphology", CLS #7,
U. of Chicago
Givon, T. (1979)  On Understanding Grammar, NY: Academic Press
Givon, T. (200) "Internal reconstruction: As method, as theory", in S.
Gildea, ed. TSL volume, Amsterdam: J. Benjamins
Givon, T. (2001) Syntax (vol. 1, several chapters), Amsterdam: J. Benjamins

Best,  TG