naming a language

Straight, H. Stephen straight at binghamton.edu
Thu Apr 2 15:45:57 UTC 2009

My impression of this discussion, with some exceptions, is that it reveals that even linguists sometimes fail to inquire about how a given name (or other word, for that matter) is pronounced by speakers of the language from which it comes.  The result is sometimes Anglicization but almost as often IPA-icization (as in the case of Bengali).  I'd be curious to know the story behind the pronunciation of Afghanistan and Pakistan.  What I think I'm hearing now from Barack Obama is front vowels in the first and back vowels in the second.  Can anyone provide a rationale for this pattern or otherwise enlighten us about these two (and Iraq and Iran, too, while you're at it)?

Best.  'Bye.  Steve

H Stephen Straight, PhD
Binghamton University, State University of New York