'substantial surprise'

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Thu Apr 23 16:46:38 UTC 2009

Dear Esa,

I don't have the original Evans/Levinson BBS article, which I will try
to obtain ASAP. So the following is based on the assumption you quoted
them--and yourself-- accurately.

I must say that these picky laments about (the demise of) universals go
back to (at least) Bloomfield, and are really dependent on apriori
definitions, or a philosophical stance. The extreme Bloomfieldian
position assumes that universals must be concrete SURFACE  FEATURES of
language, rather than CONTROLLING/EXPLANATORY PRINCIPLES that govern the
distribution of surface features. The extreme Chomsakian position makes
the facts themselves so abstract and so formal (as against
substantive/functional) that "universals" are observed--really,
posited--virtually by fiat. Still, there is one useful element one could
extract from Chomsky's extremism: The insistence that universal are not
just concrete surface features that must appear in all languages, but
rather controlling "principles & parameters". This is fully in line with
Carnap's, in my view apt, distinction between "factual generalizations"
and "theoretical statements". So far so good. The problem is, of course,
that Chomsky's P&Ps are abstract, non-substantive and divorced from
real  (Carnapian) factual generalizations. Above all, Chomskian
universals are of  EXTANT STATE states rather than DEVELOPMENT.

It would be useful to point out that there is a middle-ground,
biologically-based alternative to our view of universals, a middle
ground that has existed at least since H. Paul, and has been espoused,
at least in late life, by Joe Greenberg: That universals are NOT
concrete surface features ("all living beings have cells"; "all
languages have verbs"), but rather more general principles that underlie
the phylogeny and ontogeny--and for language, the diachrony--of the
distribution of all surface forms. Evolutionary and molecular biology
are constructed to  elucidate those principles in biology. In biology,
these universals of development account for the distribution of surface
forms. In linguistics, in addition to evolution & child language
development, the most powerful developmental process that explains the
distribution of  concrete surface forms is DIACHRONY. So talking about
the distribution of Tamil forms without understanding the diachrony of
those forms is, to my mind,  somewhat self-defeating.

One more philosophical/definistional element in this discussion is the
notion that universals must be 100%, either or. A single exception
throws out a strong statistical tendency (say 99.9%). This again flies
in the face of what is known about biologically-based  complex systems,
where most surface-feature generalizations are strong statistical
tendencies rather than 100%. This is so because biological systems &
behaviors are adaptive compromises between conflicting  tho equally
valid general ('universal') adaptive principles.  As Ernst Mayr observed
long ago, only physics & mathematics have exceptionless  laws. What is
more, there is usually more than one possible solution to an adaptive
imperative, and related species may adopt different solutions, each
having both advantages & drawbacks. Language typology reveals exactly
that--a range of possible ways of solving the same
adaptive-communicative task, each having adaptive advantages and
disadvantages.

Again, what is universal is/are not 100% generalizations about surface
features, but the controlling principles of the developmental processes
that create complex systems. Diachronic change behaves, in this regard,
very much like biological evolution (see ch. 3 of my 2008 book "The
Genesis of Syntactic Complexity"), and produces seemingly-conflicting,
oft puzzling surface facts. Speaking of old books, ch. 6 of my "On
Understanding Grammar" (1979) "Where does crazy syntax comes from?" is
dedicated to showing how diachrony can often produced counter-universal
surface features. My 2000 paper "Internal reconstruction:" As method, as
theory" (in a TSL volume edited by Spike Gildea) discusses a monumental
case of seeming violations of well-known synchronic generalization in
the Athabaskan (Tolowa) verb complex. Bern Heine has also some recent
discussion on the subject.

In sum, I think the position you attribute to Evans/Levinson is a
regrettable throwback to non-biologically- based, non-process-based
approach to "surface universals" that has been dogging linguistics for a
long time. For as long as functionally-oriented linguists do not strive
to produce, in Carnap's words, "theoretical generalizations" that are
explanatory rather than mere summaries of the fact (thus really Carnap's
"factual generalizations"), I am afraid we will continue to cede the
field of  "theory" to the Chomskians, who have of course botched it
royally, for well-understood reasons. And as long as the only
alternatives availably to us are the two extreme positions of Bloomfield
and Chomsky, a real understanding of universals will remain a
tantalizing mirage.

Best,  TG