'substantial surprise'

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Thu Apr 23 17:58:26 UTC 2009

Esa Itkonen,

Thanks for this interesting posting. I will go to your site to download
the paper.

Without having read it yet, one explanation has occurred to me:

The language may have been highly fusional to begin with, so that each
sentence was really a single word. Then as the parts became more
independent, each separate word acquired its own inflection... The
inflections may have already existed, because in a prior part of the
linguistic cycle the language was less fusional.

So the development may have been:

agglutinative  --->    fusional -->  inflectional

To get a full circle, you'd need to add this:

inflectional --> isolating --> agglutinative.

Some languages have a history of coming full circle. But even if we don't
see a full circle, this is how the cycle goes, a la Dixon. It's a
unidrectional progression  -- but it cycles!

Best,

     --Aya