intro to syntax query

Paul Hopper hopper at cmu.edu
Thu Apr 23 23:14:38 UTC 2009

Shannon,

The problem is always: how to cram some real grammatical knowledge into a single semester without skimping on theory. I don't think Chomskyan approaches can accomplish this, as the theoretical prerequisites are too demanding of time.

I regularly teach a master's degree course called "Rhetorical Grammar" using my own textbook (A Short Course in Grammar, W W Norton, 1999). This is about as theory-neutral a treatment as you can get and still have a technical syntactic orientation. It is monostratal in approach and makes use of Mickey Noonan's "form-function diagrams", a revealing way of simultaneously displaying syntactic forms and sentence-level functions. It assumes a single semester. The book has been quite widely used.

I'll be happy to answer questions and send you sample chapters as Word files.

- Paul Hopper

--
Prof. Dr. Paul J. Hopper
Senior Fellow