our BBS paper

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 27 12:20:21 UTC 2009

Good points, Oesten. If you look at my 1988 paper on the pragmatics of
word-order flexibility (a TSL volume out of a Milwaukee symposium), you
will see that these questions are addressed  there from a
cognitive-communicative perspective--accessibility, communicative
centrality/topicality and  focus-of-attention.  So certainly one would
interpret the SUBJECT-before-OBJECT ordering tendency as a reflection of
PRIMARY-TOPIC-before- SECONDARY-TOPIC principle, one I labeled in 1983
(Topic Continuity in Discourse) "attend first to the most important
task". (These are, by the way, only short-hand labels, to this day still
in need of detailed neuro-cognitive elaborations).

Though of course, diachronic processes are themselves constrained (i.e.
motivated) by cognitive- communicative universals. So by saying
"diachronic" one does not aim to ignore those.  Best,  TG

=========