Bloomfield 26: "sub-multiple"?

Scott DeLancey delancey at uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 27 01:54:27 UTC 2009

A submultiple of X is an exact divisor of X,
something that will divide into X with no remainder.
Since any morpheme is made up of a whole number of
phonemes (at least in Bloomfield's model), the
total number of morphemes is a multiple of the
total number of phonemes. So the number of phonemes
is a submultiple of the number of words.

Scott DeLancey
Department of Linguistics
1290 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1290, USA