Query on structural properties

Paul Hopper hopper at cmu.edu
Fri Dec 18 16:04:58 UTC 2009

Dear Typologists and Funknetters,

It's interesting that many of the items on Dan's list would be good
quantitative characterizations of conversational English; they would be
statistical but not grammatical constraints. Dan's project might be
formulated as: How far along this continuum is it possible for a language
to go? (Is Spoken English a 'primitive' language?)

We learned last year in Funknet how a single angry "flame" can torpedo a
discussion group--Funknet has been basically quiescent for several months
now. A pity. The best way to deal with a flame is to ignore it.

- Paul

--
Prof. Dr. Paul J. Hopper
Senior Fellow